App and shop Owner
The Surfr. App is brought to you by Surfr. Surfr. is a trading name of L. Vuijk Holding based in the Netherlands, registered by the chamber of commerce with number: 54994209.
Collected data and purpose
For the app
During registration user is asked for a minimum set of data: a username, e-mail address and password. The password is securely stored in the database. The e-mail address is not visible to other users and is only used to reach out to the user for example with a password recovery. The username is visible to other users and can be freely chosen.
For the shop
When a order is placed on the shop some name and address data will be asked in order to be able to process the order. We won’t story any payment related data and also we won’t create accounts. If you want to re-order you will have to fill in your details again. Payments are handled by our partner Stripe and the shop uses the official Stripe plugin for the payment handling. Your address is also temporarily shared with Sendcloud which is our shipping partner to create shipping labels, provide Track and Tracing on the shipments, and to generate relevant customs documentation.
OTHER data regarding the usage of the app
During recording of a kite boarding session there is data recorded and shared.
- Raw accelerometer & Gyroscope data. This is stored on your device and not shared with any online service
- Live data. Only during recording a session the location of the kite board will be shared and also details about your current session (latest jumps, speed). As soon as the user stops recording live data will no longer be shared.
- User can disable location sharing within the settings. Once disabled the location will no longer be tracked and shared. The app will still record jumps but any GPS related functions of the app will no longer be available.
After recording a session the User can review gathered data (jumps and track) before deciding to save it. When data is saved it becomes available for other users to view as a Session. When the session is saved only the aggregated data will be stored in the Surfr. database. This means: the jumps without the underlying accelerometer and gyroscope details.
uploaded data in the app
Any data that is uploaded to the app by the user will be stored and shared with other users as well. This concerns (but not limited to): commenting on sessions, liking of sessions, uploaded Avatars and Session images. User is always in control about the data that is put in through the app and is not required to put in any of this data for the app to function properly.
Mode and place of processing the Data
Methods of processing
The Owner takes appropriate security measures to prevent unauthorized access, disclosure, modification, or unauthorized destruction of the Data.
The Data processing is carried out using computers and/or IT enabled tools, following organizational procedures and modes strictly related to the purposes indicated. In addition to the Owner, in some cases, the Data may be accessible to certain types of persons in charge, involved with the operation of this Application (administration, sales, marketing, legal, system administration) or external parties (such as third-party technical service providers, mail carriers, hosting providers, IT companies, communications agencies) appointed, if necessary, as Data Processors by the Owner. The updated list of these parties may be requested from the Owner at any time.
Legal basis of processing
The personal data as mentioned under Collected data is processed based on the ‘Legitimate interests‘ lawful basis. In addition: only personal data is stored in order for the app to function properly. The only personal data item (e-mail address) is not visible to users and only used by the Owner to reach out to the User, for example when a password needs to be recovered.
The Data is processed at the Owner’s operating offices and in any other places where the parties involved in the processing are located.
Depending on the User’s location, data transfers may involve transferring the User’s Data to a country other than their own.
Collected data will be kept for undetermined time. User can always request an overview of their stored data and / or request data removal.
Device permissions for Personal Data access
Depending on the User’s specific device, this Application may request certain permissions that allow it to access the User’s device Data as described below.
By default, these permissions must be granted by the User before the respective information can be accessed. Once the permission has been given, it can be revoked by the User at any time. In order to revoke these permissions, Users may refer to the device settings or contact the Owner for support at the contact details provided in the present document.
The exact procedure for controlling app permissions may be dependent on the User’s device and software.
Please note that the revoking of such permissions might impact the proper functioning of this Application.
If User grants any of the permissions listed below, the respective Personal Data may be processed (i.e accessed to, modified or removed) by this Application.
Approximate location permission (continuous)
Used for accessing the User’s approximate device location. This Application may collect, use, and share User location Data in order to provide location-based services. Specifically the location is used ONLY during kiteboarding (while recording a session) in order to:
- Save the track of the kiteboarding session
- Calculate the distance and speed of the session
- Live location broadcast. Shows the location of where the User is kiteboarding to other users. In this way other users are able to see where User is kiting as well as they are able to get GPS based directions to recover the User or the Users kiteboard. Users can increase each other safety by being able to find a lost User or a lost kiteboard (when the phone is attached to the kiteboard) back when it’s drifting in the water. The location is broadcasted in combination with the self chosen Name of the user.
- Recover user. When ever a User (User A) tries to recover another User (User B) or another Users kiteboard the location of User A will also be used in order to generate navigation directions. The navigation directions consist out of an Arrow which indicates the direction and a distance calculated as the as-the-crow-flies distance between the location of User A and User B. The location of User A is not being shared in this used case and just used for this functionality only, and only visible to User A.
When the user stops the recording of the session the app will stop recording the location. Also the app will try to stop GPS recording automatically when it detects that the User is no longer kiteboarding on the water. This will help to prevent unwanted GPS recording, for example when the User forgets to stop the kiteboarding session after finishing kiteboarding and start driving back home. Based on the accelerometer the app will detect that the users is now driving a car instead of being on the water for kiteboarding and will stop the GPS recording automatically. This auto-stop features is available from app version 1.40 and up.
Used for accessing the camera or capturing images and video from the device.
EXTERNAL STORAGE PERMISSION
Used for storing temporary accelerometer and gyroscope data during recording of a session. Data will be automatically removed if older than 30 days.
WAKE-lock, Foreground service, BATTErY IGNORE PERMISSION
In order for the app to function when the screen is off (Android DOZE mode) wake-lock and battery optimization ignore mode is required for the app to received sensor events at the required rate/frequency.
A fore-ground service is used to indicate that the Surfr. app is still running and recording.
READ PHONE STATE
Used for checking battery level as well as available free disk space.