Your privacy matters, read all about it on this page.
App and shop OwnerThe Surfr. App is brought to you by Surfr B.V.. Surfr. registered by the chamber of commerce with number: 83542027. In the Google Playstore Surfr is former known as Firekiter, and references to Firekiter are possible. For any inquires about your data contact us via the contact form.
Personal dataFor the app During registration user is asked for a minimum set of data: a username, e-mail address. Surfr does not use passwords but instead use login-codes send to your e-mail to access the app to enhance user friendliness as well as to avoid the need of storing your potential sensitive password. The e-mail address is not visible to other users and is only used to provide you with one-time login-codes in case you need to re-login at any point. The username is visible to other users and can be freely chosen. For the shop When a order is placed on the web shop some name and address data will be asked in order to be able to process the order. We won’t story any payment related data and also we won’t create accounts. If you want to re-order you will have to fill in your details again. Payments are handled by our partner Stripe and the shop uses the official Stripe plugin for the payment handling. Your address is also temporarily shared with Sendcloud which is our shipping partner to create shipping labels, provide Track and Tracing on the shipments, and to generate relevant customs documentation.
Secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user dataThe only personal data that is required for the Surfr App is your e-mail address. This data, and any other data that you willingly upload to the Surfr app as part is stored in the Google Cloud and the Google Cloud only. Surfr relies fully on the Google Cloud for providing you with state-of-the-art hosting and data storage. For more information about the Google Clouds compliance with privacy laws have a look at: https://cloud.google.com/privacy/gdpr and https://cloud.google.com/privacy
Other data regarding the usage of the appDuring recording of a kite boarding session there is data recorded and shared.
- Raw accelerometer & Gyroscope data. This is temporary stored on your device and not shared with any online service.
- Live data. Only during recording a session the location of the kite board will be shared and also details about your current session (latest jumps, speed). As soon as the user stops recording live data will no longer be shared.
- User can disable location sharing within the settings. Once disabled the location will no longer be tracked and shared. The app will still record jumps but any GPS related functions of the app will no longer be available.
Uploaded data in the appAny data that is uploaded to the app by the user will be stored and shared with other users as well. This concerns (but not limited to): commenting on sessions, liking of sessions, uploaded Avatars and Session images. User is always in control about the data that is put in through the app and is not required to put in any of this data for the app to function properly.
Commercial third party sharing
There is no commercial sharing of any or your data with third parties.
Methods of processingThe Owner takes appropriate security measures to prevent unauthorized access, disclosure, modification, or unauthorized destruction of the Data. The Data processing is carried out using computers and/or IT enabled tools, following organizational procedures and modes strictly related to the purposes indicated. In addition to the Owner, in some cases, the Data may be accessible to certain types of persons in charge, involved with the operation of this Application (administration, sales, marketing, legal, system administration) or external parties (such as third-party technical service providers, mail carriers, hosting providers, IT companies, communications agencies) appointed, if necessary, as Data Processors by the Owner. As of today, the Surfr. App solely relies on the Google Cloud as the Data Processor that hosts and storage data available within the Surfr. App.
Legal basis of processingThe personal data as mentioned under Collected data is processed based on the ‘Legitimate interests‘ lawful basis. In addition: only personal data is stored in order for the app to function properly. The only personal data item (e-mail address) is not visible to users and only used by the Owner to reach out to the User, for example when a password needs to be recovered.
PlaceThe Data is processed at the Owner’s operating offices and in any other places where the parties involved in the processing are located. Depending on the User’s location, data transfers may involve transferring the User’s Data to a country other than their own.
Retention and Deletion PolicyCollected data will be kept for undetermined time. Please note, this only applies to collected data that the User willingly chooses to store into Users Surfr Profile. Any of the uploaded data can always be removed Users profile at any point. User can always request an overview of their stored data and / or request data removal. Users can also remove their accounts themselves from within the Surfr. App (Open the app, Profile, Settings, Remove account).
Device permissions for Personal Data accessDepending on the User’s specific device, this Application may request certain permissions that allow it to access the User’s device Data as described below. By default, these permissions must be granted by the User before the respective information can be accessed. Once the permission has been given, it can be revoked by the User at any time. In order to revoke these permissions, Users may refer to the device settings or contact the Owner for support at the contact details provided in the present document. The exact procedure for controlling app permissions may be dependent on the User’s device and software. Please note that the revoking of such permissions might impact the proper functioning of this Application. If User grants any of the permissions listed below, the respective Personal Data may be processed (i.e accessed to, modified or removed) by this Application.
Approximate location permission (continuous)Used for accessing the User’s approximate device location. This Application may collect, use, and share User location Data in order to provide location-based services. Specifically the location is used ONLY during kiteboarding (while recording a session) in order to:
- Save the track of the kiteboarding session
- Calculate the distance and speed of the session
- Live location broadcast. Shows the location of where the User is kiteboarding to other users. In this way other users are able to see where User is kiting as well as they are able to get GPS based directions to recover the User or the Users kiteboard. Users can increase each other safety by being able to find a lost User or a lost kiteboard (when the phone is attached to the kiteboard) back when it’s drifting in the water. The location is broadcasted in combination with the self chosen Name of the user.
- Recover user. When ever a User (User A) tries to recover another User (User B) or another Users kiteboard the location of User A will also be used in order to generate navigation directions. The navigation directions consist out of an Arrow which indicates the direction and a distance calculated as the as-the-crow-flies distance between the location of User A and User B. The location of User A is not being shared in this used case and just used for this functionality only, and only visible to User A.